Six Dangers Lurking In Your Home That Could Be Making Your Family Sick

How much time we spend in our homes mean that even apparently-minor messes could result in serious medical problems. Take a look at these six common dangers that could be making your family sick.

1. Bacteria-Ridden Counters
Kitchen counters tend to become a place in which almost anything imaginable is stored, and this can lead to some health problems for those that prepare meals on their counters. Bacteria that is not cleaned away immediately can be transferred to electronic devices, hands, pencils, purses, backpacks and anything else imaginable. Be sure to wipe down your counters frequently with more than just a paper towel and water. Use vinegar or household cleaners to disinfect the surface.

6 Dangers Lurking In Your Home That Could Be Making Your Family Sick2. Dirty Filters
A dirty filter in the HVAC system can lead to sicknesses in two ways. First, when the filters become filled, large clumps of contaminants will begin to peel away and enter into the home through the ducts. Next, if the filters are completely clogged though, the air will be forced around the filters which means a slew of new allergens within the home. Be sure to replace your filters on a regular basis, especially if you have family members with allergies or asthma.

3. Mold
Mold will find a way to grow almost anywhere that is humid and warm, and when left untouched, it can lead to bacterial problems and respiratory health issues. Some of the most common places that mold may be lurking include the basement, under sinks, in crawlspaces, and in the ducts of the AC or heating vents. It’s important to get help from professionals to get rid of mold in your home, say the experts at Griffin Contracting & Restoration. Once it starts to spread, it can be difficult to get rid of.

4. Radon
Continued exposure to radon has been shown to increase one’s risk of a number of serious diseases and illnesses. What makes this toxin so dangerous is the fact that a family can live in a radon-laden home for years on end with absolutely no idea. Home radon testing kits are an inexpensive way to accurately check for this dangerous chemical.

5. Old Paint
There are many regulations on what can be placed in new home paint, but interior and exterior paint manufactured before the 1970s had almost no regulations. This means that any homes with paint that is 30 to 40 years old could contain lead and should be removed and replaced by a professional, especially if it is chipping off the walls.

6. Dust Mites
Dust mites can be found anywhere that there are dead skin cells, and for most homes this means that they can live in almost any room. Unused rooms and dusty attics are a common breeding ground for dust mites and these creatures will create many of the same symptoms as allergies. Wash sheets in hot water regularly to prevent dust mites from causing problems.

When it comes to keeping your family healthy, it is all about taking proactive steps before serious issues pop up. Parents should make their home as inhospitable as possible for mold, mildew, bacteria, and any other harmful toxins.